Painting is one of the most common home improvement projects. A new coat of paint can do wonders for the interior of your home, freshening up spaces that were in bad need of an overhaul and bringing more light into rooms that had once previously felt dark. You can do the job yourself, but hiring a professional contractor can save you a lot of time and sweat, especially if you’re looking at larger-scale painting jobs in your home.
So, if you’re going to go the professional route, what are some of the traits you should be looking for in a good painting contractor in Tyler, TX? Here are some factors to consider:
- Experience: Consider how long the contractor has been working in the business. There tends to be a high turnover in the painting trade. To make sure you’re going to get the best possible results out of the work, make sure you choose someone who’s been doing the job for at least two years. More experience indicates a higher quality of service.
- Licensing: Does the painter have state-issued licenses, liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance? These are very crucial things for contractors to have, as it protects you, your home and any person who will be doing work on your property.
- Prep work: You should ask the painter about the kind of prep work they do before they get to the actual painting. There are some lesser contractors who will cheap out on the prep work to save time and cut corners. A good contractor will do everything that needs to be done to ensure a high level of workmanship.
- Estimates: Any contractor you work with should be willing to provide you with a formal written estimate for the job. This estimate should include all the materials that will be used, the amount of prep work needed and the amount of labor costs as part of the whole dollar figure. Professional contractors should be happy to provide their potential clients with these estimates, as well as written contracts, job overviews and specifications.
- Cost: While getting the cheapest contractor available is probably not the best way to go about choosing a contractor, you do need to consider their costs as part of your choice, because you’re probably going to have a specific budget you want to stick to for the project. It’s a good idea to get at least three bids for the project so you can weigh the costs along with some of the other issues you’re factoring into your decision.
- Guarantees: Does the contractor offer any guarantees? The paint itself is likely to have some manufacturer warranties or guarantees, but you should also try to work with contractors who guarantee their work/application/preparation processes. Any guarantees should come in writing so that you can enforce them if needed.
For more information about some of the factors you should consider when hiring a painting contractor in Tyler, TX, contact the friendly professionals at Salgado Painting today. We look forward to working on your next painting project!