Does the color of your walls make the inside of your home look like a cave? Are you tired of boring white walls? Is it time for a color update? Whatever your reason for wanting to repaint a room, it’s important to keep in mind that paint colors can dramatically change the look and atmosphere of your space. Choose your colors wisely! The great thing about painting is that it’s one of the easiest and most affordable ways to change up a room. It doesn’t require expensive remodeling, and can often be completed in a weekend.
Are you ready to refresh your indoor living space? Here are five things interior painters in Tyler, TX want to you to know before painting any room in your home:
- Prepping the room is a must: Painting is easier when there’s nothing in the way. Empty out the room completely, or as much as possible. In larger rooms, move furniture to the center and cover it. Wipe the walls down to remove dirt, dust, oil and other debris so paint has an easier time adhering to the walls. Fill in holes and cracks, then use painter’s tape around walls, window and door frames and electrical outlets. Lay down drop cloths to protect your floors from paint drips and paint-smeared hands.
- Don’t be afraid of color: What color(s) should you choose? Unless you actually want a shade of white, consider a few bold color options to enhance your living space. Darker colors add texture and depth to spaces, and are perfect for larger rooms with high ceilings. Smaller rooms and/or rooms with little natural light can benefit from lighter colors, which can open up the space and make it feel larger.
- Different finishes offer different results: While the paint color itself is important, you can’t forget about the finish or sheen. High gloss finishes are durable and easy to clean, but can show imperfections on the wall. A flat finish hides imperfections, but is susceptible to damage. An eggshell finish offers some gloss, is easy to clean, covers imperfections and stands strong against damage—eggshell is an excellent option.
- Priming is helpful: Primer is great for sealing walls to give you a base for the paint to stick to. It also prevents shiny spots where you spackled over holes and cracks. If you choose to use primer, you still need to wipe down the walls prior to painting.
- Paint colors can be changed: Interior wall paint is an inexpensive option for a room makeover. And if you don’t like it, remember that it can easily be changed in the future.
A fresh coat of paint can do wonders for a room’s mood and design—especially if the current color of paint does not reflect your personal style. Whether you decide to hire professionals to paint or choose to take on the project yourself, preparation is the key to success.
If you decide to go with professional interior painters in Tyler, TX, we invite you to speak with our team of experts at Salgado Painting. Call for a free estimate today!